Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Twenty-One Truths About Love

by: Matthew Dicks
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️


“To Do
Don’t ever die.
Read faster.”
This book, written entirely in the form of lists, was very interesting and refreshing. Daniel was, at times, infuriating.
His lists were:
- sometimes silly
- sometimes emotional
- sometimes useless
- often hilarious.
10. “We lie to the people we love the most to protect them from the worst parts of ourselves, which is true but also f*cking bullsh*t.” - 21 Truths About Love list
I will say that I hope my husband never lies to me as much as Daniel lies to Jill about their finances, but I do hope my husband follows his dream like Daniel with his bookshop.
“Bookshop” = quaint, privately owned
“Bookstore” = corporate, soulless - Important note in language list
Also, as a woman with a former partner who’s deceased, I hope I’m sensitive to the mention of said partner in future relationships as I often found myself feeling sad for Daniel and his struggle to cope with his wife’s dead first husband. Which leads me to the fact that this book had a lot of deep topics- very impressive for a book made up of only lists.
* “When your wife dies, people look at the space where she used to be instead of at you.” - Three hours with Bill Donovan list
I am thoughroughly impressed with Matthew Dick’s writing style. This book is a quick read while maintaining both humor and heartbreak.
I’d recommend this book to:
- anyone “starting over”
- anyone following their dream
- anyone starting a family
- anyone who’s lost a partner
- anyone in love with someone who’s lost a partner
- anyone who loves lists.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everyone Knows How Much I Love You

Everyone Knows How Much I Love You by: Kyle McCarthy On Sale 6/23/2020 Talk about self-destruction! Rose is probably one of the most annoyin...