Friday, August 10, 2012

Accident Thursday

So, I’m driving my daily route down Woodward into town: a bit more carefully – surprisingly enough – because of the heavy baseball traffic attempting to exit the area. In the middle lane with a steady flow of slowed traffic to my right waiting to turn and out of nowhere – yet directly in front of me – is an Elantra crossing to traffic to head in my opposing direction. Unfortunately, the driver hadn’t looked for oncoming traffic and, though I laid on my horn and slammed on my breaks, I still barreled right into his side – whacking my head on the steering wheel and crunching my bumper to bits. When I finally made it through traffic and into the lot, the driver and his girlfriend had parked, called the police, and stood awkwardly outside the vehicle waiting for my arrival. In an unforeseen calmness, I slipped out of the jeep and walked toward them. “Are you ok!? Oh my gosh – I’m so sorry! I didn’t even look!” the guy said sympathetically – I hugged his girlfriend, who looked like she was on the verge of tears, then asked for a cigarette. Mr.U had to walk the rest of the way to me and when he made it to the parking lot, he had worked himself up quite a bit. “You will be nothing but calm, cause freaking out will only freak me out and neither one of us needs to freak in any way over this situation that has happened and cannot be changed.” So we stood and waited – over an hour – for the police to file their report. In the meantime, we had a few homeless people wander through (assessing the damage), an overly curious Asian family, and a shoe-less drunk woman begging for cigarettes and complaining about how much the huge RV she was traveling in “sucked.” The police pulled up, then had to pull up further because the driver’s partner couldn’t get out over a massive puddle. They took our info and said they’d call to file the report electronically. They still haven’t called. Sadly, in this city, I’m not surprised. But all I wanted was to go home, put on my Timberland sweatpants, and eat cookie dough. So once we were finally freed from out perch in the accident parking lot – that’s exactly what I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everyone Knows How Much I Love You

Everyone Knows How Much I Love You by: Kyle McCarthy On Sale 6/23/2020 Talk about self-destruction! Rose is probably one of the most annoyin...