Thursday, March 22, 2012

Yellow Notes

I found these notes while packing up my room yesterday.I’ve been crying when you’re not looking, so you won’t know how upset I am to leave. I’m not sure why, cause I know out of anyone in my life, you two aren’t gonna judge me – not for my thoughts, clothes, weight, or silly bouts of sadness. You’d think with how easily I can be sassy&sily, that expressing those sad moments wouldn’t be so tough. But they are… I’ve been sad for about a year. Ignoring, running, crying when no ones looking. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve been happy too, but never as happy as I’ve been these weeks. I’m so glad I got to spend these weeksish with you. I wish I could stop time and stay here with you two without consequence forever. But… real life is unavoidable… and someday, when I get to be a retiree, I’ll appreciate these moments even more.
Grandma, you’ve taught me since I can remember how to love with such a carefree spirit – unconditional love from deep in my heart even when the recipient may not deserve it. And, though frustrating at times, I adore that trait in both of us.
Grandpa, hearing&seeing your reaction to that movie broke my heart. You’re the strongest man I’ve ever known with the biggest heart to hold it together. Anyone honored enough to hear you speak a word should feel lucky. I could never tell you enough how proud I am to claim you as my grandpa
…”
I’m not sure how I finished it, but these were notes for a goodbye letter I wrote to my grandparents after camping with them in Florida last winter. I can’t even remember how long I stayed, but it felt like a lifetime of perfection. They rented me a yellow bike so we could ride around in the sunshine. We played cards, watched movies, ate my aunt&uncle’s homemade jam&sausages. We laughed so hard my belly throbbed and my cheeks tired from smiling. We’d seen The King’s Speech and it had impacted both of them so tenderly.
I remember packing up Betty at our campsite in Oscar Scherer State Park and feeling the biggest lump of sadness welling up in my throat – I knew how special our moments had been – how rare&pristine. Not every grandchild can share the bonds I’ve come to rely on – not every grandchild can be as lucky as me. My grandpa recoded my giggle on his cellphone – trying to remain big&strong, he’d quietly told grandma how much he’d miss it while I stood outside the camper. His sweet, little words made my heart ache to leave. I meant every word I said in that letter and I’d go back to those moments in a heartbeat if allowed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everyone Knows How Much I Love You

Everyone Knows How Much I Love You by: Kyle McCarthy On Sale 6/23/2020 Talk about self-destruction! Rose is probably one of the most annoyin...