Monday, March 26, 2012

New [lasting] Home

It’s a somewhat overwhelming workinprogress, but – so farI love it! I feared the cleaning process would never end at first… our little attic home had become Mr.U’s mother’s timewarp – filled with the life she’d lived before her husband passed away and almost completely untouched as these 6 years passed. We started by emptying the closets – piles of clothes – folded&boxed them all to bring downstairs for sorting. We emptied out the dressers, deep-cleaned every inch of the cobwebbed nooks&crannies, rearranged the furniture, painted, and organized. In one weekend, we packed up the old life that had been lived in the attic and moved our new life up there.
Speaking from experience, I knew how daunting this would be for his mother – hence why I’d requested multiple times that he sit down and have a serious conversation about our plans. Though he claimed he’d done so, she still had a bit of a meltdown as we filled his childhood bedroom with boxes for her to organize and transformed the attic in one short weekend. After a few days of awkward moments between her&I – yes, just the two of us since Mr.U hasn’t moved here yet – she seems to have come to terms with what’s happening. And I’ve agreed to clean out an underutilized storage area up there to move some of the boxes back up without sorting – a middleground I’m completely fine with. After 2 years, it’s still hard to sort through my Bunni Boxes, so I can’t even fathom conquering the sorting project from 25 years of marriage.
Slowly but surely, though, it’s coming along. And I’m falling in love with our cozy, new home. We both agreed his dad would be happy to see the changes, too. Not only do we need a home, but his mother could use some help, company, and organization – so I hope it will be beneficial for both
parties. Now I just need to get the rest of my furniture moved so all my projects can be finished&perfect for Mr.U’s arrival.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everyone Knows How Much I Love You

Everyone Knows How Much I Love You by: Kyle McCarthy On Sale 6/23/2020 Talk about self-destruction! Rose is probably one of the most annoyin...