Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Sophomore's Savior

"It’s hard not to wonder what I could have, should have, would have done to save her. I suppose I’ll always wonder. I can re-play every conversation, every fight, every memory over&over searching for an answer or solution, but I know it will never bring her back. I always knew that. Even when she was here, I knew I couldn’t change things. What my Bunni did was what my Bunni did and I just had to take what I could get.
Those stages of grief they talk about never came full circle for me, because I definitely never hit the “bargaining” one. I accepted from the moment I heard she’d really done it that she was gone and there was no bringing her back. There was only dealing. Only living. Only remembering what I could. Loving what I’d had. Missing it, of course, but not hoping for it to return. She was gone. Sure, I wish I’d saved her – I’ll always wish that – but I didn’t.
She had definitely saved me, though, from a lot. Honestly, I think we both saved each other – it was just that ultimate “save” that I missed somehow. But it’s not like I was always the “solid” one in our pair. In fact, if she’d never saved me, I’m sure I couldn’t have held on to her as long as I did – her efforts in the beginning that lead to my efforts toward the end.Heaving in a bush a block from my apartment building – that’s what I had lowered myself to in my bulimia haze. That Qudoba Gumbo had been spectacular on the way down, but I certainly couldn’t leave it in my body. Sorority Formal Recruitment was coming up and there was still a solid month of shorts & tank top weather, so access body weight was not an option. This had become my ritual that summer – either a bush, public restroom, or a plastic bag while the shower ran… I couldn’t have my brother hearing me barf in the bathroom we shared and I couldn’t leave any evidence. I’d accepted my habit, but I knew he wouldn’t. Slowly, my walks to class had gotten harder – my tired, hunchy body ran out of breath much more easily without all that nasty food to keep it energized. I’d convinced myself that the energy was uglywho needs to stand up straight because they ate 3 full meals? I’d come to love my rounded shoulders and protruding hip bones – there’s more beauty in my control than your energy, you eaters.
The first night her&I spent as roommates was for Recruitment Retreat at our sorority house. I wanted to impress her. Yes, I was dating someone and so was she, but I wanted so badly to catch her eye. My tiny body would certainly be impressive. She also was tiny, though.
Damnit, she’s been working hard all summer, too. I remember irritatedly thinking – hoping my efforts wouldn’t go unnoticed.
They didn’t. As I pulled on my Victoria’s Secret PINK pj bottoms she lounged in her red desk chair trying not to watch me change – a task she later admitted was much more difficult than she’d expected.
You been blowin’ coke all summer, girl?” she blurted.
Satisfaction. I shook my head as I slipped my shirt over my bony shoulders.
I didn’t start eating “normal meals” again until her & I were in full swing about 4 months later. By then she knew it wasn’t cocaine that was keeping the skin attached to my bones. She knew what I was doing. Yet never seemed phased. Truthfully, I think she wanted someone to save – something to distract herself with – someone who needed more help than she did. She never made a negative comment. I only heard constant reassurance of how beautiful I was and how lucky she was to have me. She never forced me into eating. I always knew the offer was on the table, though. And eventually, my comfort with her and in us brought me back around. I wanted energy for her. But more than that – I didn’t seem to want anything anymore... I didn’t need to be tiny – I didn’t need to vomit. My happiness had eliminated those thoughts. I don’t remember a turning point. I don’t remember clenching a toilet seat thinking, This is the last time, girl, cause you don’t need to do this again. I only remember not doing it – not worrying anymore. An effortless transition to health – and maybe some added pounds I'd have disliked had I been paying attention, but I wasn’t thinking about my appearance by her side. I just lived. Ate, drank, loved, and lived."
-excerpt from my novel

1 comment:

  1. I love this part of the story.

    Amazing what true happiness can do :)

    <3

    ReplyDelete

Everyone Knows How Much I Love You

Everyone Knows How Much I Love You by: Kyle McCarthy On Sale 6/23/2020 Talk about self-destruction! Rose is probably one of the most annoyin...