Friday, February 10, 2012

Unconventional Experience

My mom was pregnant on her 18th birthday and when she graduated high school. My dad was only two months into his senior year when he got called out of football practice to watch his wife give birth to their son. They may not have grown-up conventionally or been given as much time to prepare for marriage&parenthood as most couples, but they did the best they could with the hand they were dealt (well, technically, the hand they dealt themselves) and I couldn’t be more proud of my parents.
I remember an incredibly short period of time when I wanted all the best things so I could be pretty&popularand I’m sure my mom frustratedly attempted to make it all perfect on my dad’s sole income – but I mostly remember her instilling in me that I didn’t need all that stuff. My thrift store finds, hand-me-downs, and homemade goods made me more beautiful&unique than all of the rest. Growing up, I’d “fallen for" her ploys to ensure I didn’t spend&spend and I honestly think that “trick” to pinch her own pennies made me a more beautiful&unique person altogether.
I remember knowing that my clothes weren’t always “cool” and not having all the expensive snacks for my brown bag lunches. I remember being frustrated that my dad wasn’t at every sporting event and hating their screaming matches over miniscule things. I remember being frustrated & trying to understand all at once. I remember my mom telling me about her&dad snuggling my brother in between them during the winter when the heat shut off and the image shattering my heart. I remember when I realized that my dad wasn’t there because he was working to support us and that their fights stemmed from the fact that they were still growing up (together). I remember my mom telling me about someone insulting my dad’s grammar in an interview and becoming painfully aware of how hard he’d fought to get to where he was.
I remember knowing that they loved me unconditionally and – despite anything we lacked – I knew I never wanted to disappoint them, cause they were doing everything they could not to disappoint me. I never remember being pressured or feeling small... only knowing that my family loved me whole-heartedly.
Sometimes I get really scared of marriage&parenthood, then I remember my best defense: I’m a product of my environment. And my environment was&is amazing. I may not have had everything, but I had more than anyone I know. And I have some of the best role models a growing girl could ask for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everyone Knows How Much I Love You

Everyone Knows How Much I Love You by: Kyle McCarthy On Sale 6/23/2020 Talk about self-destruction! Rose is probably one of the most annoyin...