Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Seeds&Mickey

Carving pumpkins always seems like such a fun idea to me – then I get sick of it about 5 minutes in. The whole scraping&straining my arm muscles to ungroop the middle of a hard, orange shell just isn’t as great as I hope it will be. And there never seems to be as many seeds as I crave for roasting&snacking.
Every year… I get pumped.
And every year… I’m let down.
This year :was no exception.
I picked up my pumpkins from a cider mill a while ago and we finally decided to carve them this weekend. The plan was for me to clean 2 of them out while Mr.U cleaned the kitchen, then we’d carve them together. I went out and bought a $5 carving kit and sat down infront of the TV with newspaper spread out around me. First, I cut the hole too small for my hand to fit inside – luckily I’d cut the hole in the bottom, so it didn’t matter if I just made it wider cause it’s not like I had to fit the piece back in. Then I started pulling the guts out. There seemed to be tons of seeds for roasting and they were separating from the goop very easily, which was a nice surprise. But there were no more nice surprises after that. The other pumpkin was way too thick for me to cut through. Even with a steak knife, I couldn’t break its surface. And the 3rd one I’d bought was covered in warts, which I had planned to cut off, cut into, or carve. So we were down to one pumpkin to carve and one pile of seeds. Mr.U - not nearly as excited for the project as I had been - allowed me to do whatever carving I wanted. I had the bright idea to do Mickey Mouse’s face on the small pumpkin I was able to clean, but the details got all jumbled together and I ended up with Mickey Mouse’s head&ears shape, which was cute enough for a simple pumpkin.
Then I roasted the seeds enough to thinly cover the bottom of a pie tinwith salt, pepper, and garlic. Those were gone by the end of the night my little snack during the Tigers game.
Anywho
– long-story-short –
pumpkin carving was
once again
a letdown
but I’m glad I got one cute carving
...and some yumyums for all my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everyone Knows How Much I Love You

Everyone Knows How Much I Love You by: Kyle McCarthy On Sale 6/23/2020 Talk about self-destruction! Rose is probably one of the most annoyin...