Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Winter Cards

Last night was the last dinner&cards night with grandma&grandpa until they return home in the spring. Every year they head south for the winter. Every year I hate it. Last year I was able to stay a couple of weeks with them in a campground on Florida’s gulf coast. This year I’ll have to settle for missing them.
It never ceases to amaze me: the amount of comfort I find in their presence. Last night, I sat snuggled on the floor in a blanket just watching my grandpa watch the Fiesta Bowl – thinking about how healthy he looks a mere 4 months after open heart surgery. I reminisced on the night of grandpa’s surgery when I slid into bed next to grandma for comfort – my mind&heart aching with the stress of her day. In the calm of last night she attempted a word-game on her iPad only to get distracted by an item she’d forgotten to pack. I rejoiced that her stresses can now be as simple as suitcases and listened to my cousin’s giggle at grandpa’s comments on grandma’s endless amounts of luggage. I soaked up their aura&energy as long as I could before falling asleep on the couch.
I don’t mind that they all kicked my butt in cards last night or that the meal we devoured wasn’t exactly what I’d craved – I'd lose a million games of 13 and eat bbq pizza till my taste buds dissolved if it meant my night could be spent near them.
I feel that I most definitely have the most amazing grandparents this world has to offer and I’ll be anxiously awaiting their return this spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everyone Knows How Much I Love You

Everyone Knows How Much I Love You by: Kyle McCarthy On Sale 6/23/2020 Talk about self-destruction! Rose is probably one of the most annoyin...