Thursday, November 3, 2011

Apologize, Please.

I simply can’t tolerate people who won’t acknowledge their faults. I realize that it’s hard to admit when I’m wrong – sometimes I don’t even realize I’m wrong. And I know that I’m selfish – it’s easy to be. But, if I’m made aware of my actions, I think I’m quick to own up, take responsibility, and try to right the wrong. I don’t have trouble apologizing if I know I’ve hurt someone and I desperately want to assure them that I’ll attempt to never do it again.
Somehow, though, no matter how much I love my friends, things just go unfortunately. And, I have a special talent for finding friends who refuse to have my apologetic mindset. I feel that, after knowing me and my thoughts, those closest to me would know that all I want is an “I’m sorry.” Actions can easily be forgotten as long as I know there’s remorse somewhere near them. But, often, the people in my life refuse to “back down.”
I don’t know if it’s my nonchalant attitude – I tend to act as if I don’t care at all about how hurt I am by their actions – or what it is that makes my friends feel that apologizing is unnecessary when it comes to “drama” with me. I do care, though. It does hurt. I may not want to spew my broken emotions out for the world to see, but that doesn’t mean I don’t hope for remorse&reconciliation.
I was taught that “I’m sorry” means “I realize my actions were wrong and I’ll try not to do it again.” Thus, a simple apology goes a long way with me. All I ask is to acknowledge I’m hurting and assure me that all efforts will go toward not repeating the pain.
So, to me, not apologizing means “my friend” doesn’t feel they’ve wronged me and doesn’t plan to change. Thus, I can easily cut people out who refuse to say they’re sorry. It probably seems simple&childish, but it’s the way my brain works. I’ll pour my heart&soul into a person, but if there’s no give on their end – even if the tiff is incredibly silly – than an “I’mSorry”-less friendship is one I can do without.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everyone Knows How Much I Love You

Everyone Knows How Much I Love You by: Kyle McCarthy On Sale 6/23/2020 Talk about self-destruction! Rose is probably one of the most annoyin...